hartlepool history logo

Irvine Currie & Co.                                                       1864-1866
R. Irvine & Co.                                                               1866-1881
Irvine & Co.                                                                   1881-1898
Irvine’s Shipbuilding & Dry Docks Co. Ltd.                     1898-1930
Irvine’s Shipbuilding & Dry Docks Co. (1930) Ltd.        1930-1938

Irvine Currie and Company was formed in 1863, with the partnership of Robert Irvine and Alexander Currie. Their first ship, the Island Queen, was launched in August 1864. A further four ships were produced up to 1866, when the yard closed temporarily to allow the building of a dry-dock. At this time the partnership was dissolved.

Between 1866 and 1870 the yard concentrated on repair and overhauling work, gaining a reputation as salvers of stranded and sunken ships. Shipbuilding recommenced with the launch of the Fuh-Le in 1870. After the death of his wife in 1882 Robert Irvine began to withdraw from the running of the firm and by 1887 the entire concern had been handed over to his heirs, led by his son, Robert Jnr.

The yard was modernised in 1887 and Christopher Furness became the principal shareholder, with the firm renamed as Irvine's Shipbuilding and Dry Docks Company Limited. In 1909 the yard was combined with the Furness, Withy and Company's shipyard at Middleton and continued trading throughout several changes of ownership until the financial depression in the 1920s. Work ceased in 1924 and the yards were closed in 1925.

The company went into liquidation in 1930. Some of the assets were purchased by a syndicate, but this mainly concentrated on repair work and shipbreaking. In 1938 the syndicate was bought out. The Port Authority maintained part of the yards, which were a valuable asset during the Second World War. In later years they gradually fell into disuse.

Related items :