hartlepool history logo

St Aidan's Longhill School

Details about St Aidan's Longhill School

This school opened in August 1874 for the children of Longhill or Wagga estate built by Thomas Richardson.

In 1887, there were 340 children on role and in by 1906 there were 548.  In 1899, a new extension was built for infant children. This was opened in 1902 and the mayor and mayoress were unable to reach the school because of the poor road to it.

Eventually the school was an infants' school only as part of St Aidan's School and the young children finally were relocated to the 'big school' in Loyalty Road in 1960. The school building which was surrounded by steel works buildings was for many years afterwards used a garage for a haulage company. The school was affectionately known as 'Wagga College' or 'The Little School'.


Related items :