hartlepool history logo

1918 - Hartlepool District v Military XV

What we know about this image :

A Hartlepool XV team for a fixture against a Military XV, played at the Friarage Field, on March 2nd, 1918.
In the background is the temporary lighthouse this was built following the demolition of the Heugh Lighthouse following the Bombardment.  The temporary Light was eventually demolished in 1926.

Only 6d (including tax) for admittance, 3d for Soldiers and Boys.

Only a brief line on the result of the game has been found so far, at the break the District XV were ahead 3 - 0! Later in he month the Military XV played YMCA with the Mail advert advertising the game and describing both sides as "hot stuff"!

Top to bottom, left to right

Back Row

  1. G.(George) E. Carter (Referee)
  2. G. Hepplewhite (Crusaders)
  3. N. Hay - Crusaders -
  4. H. Woodward ( Saracens )
  5. W. Manson - Crusaders -
  6. W. Rowe ( Saracens )
  7. W.J. Hall - Saracens -
  8. J. (Jack) Snowdon (Y.M.C.A. Committee)

Middle Row

  1. Lori. Stevenson Snr, (Linesman)
  2. Hector (Hecky) Duthie ( Crusaders )
  3. J.H. Peart - Saracens -
  4. J. Thomas ( Crusaders )
  5. A. Dixon - Saracens -
  6. J.B. Goodram (Y.M.C.A. Hon. Sec.)

Front Row

  1. W. Kaiser - Saracens -
  2. G. Spence (Captain) (YMCA)
  3. J.C. Ward - Saracens -
  4. T. Shingles ( Crusaders )

Date (of image) : 1918

Donor : Hartlepool Museum Service

Location


Related items :