hartlepool history logo

Lynn Street- St John's Methodist Chapel/ Palace Cinema

What we know about this image :

In 1851 the St John's Methodist Chapel opened in Lynn Street. It subsequently closed and by 1907, George Black had opened West Hartlepool's first cinema on the premises and the ground floor was shops. 

The photo will probably have been taken not long after this and Johnson Bros Dyers and Taylor's Drug Co. occupy the shops. John Street is the street off Lynn Street on the right of the image.

Part of the "Hartlepool Museum Service" collection


Related items :