hartlepool history logo

Lynn Street east 12 - sixth block

What we know about this image :

This is between Reed Street and Lambton Street.  Having moved from further along the street, Marks and Spencer are occupying part of Cross's premises.  The remainder of Cross's can be seen on the left of the photograph with the invitation to 'Walk round Cross's' inscribed on the pillar by the window.  The edge of Boots frontage can be seen on the right.

The Trade Directory for 1927/8 is the first indication that Marks and Spencer have moved to this location.   The directory for 1929/30 does not list Cross's and only Marks and Spencer is mentioned, implying they have taken over all the property.  If so, then this photograph could be dated as the late 1920s.

HHT&N 838

Donor : Douglas Ferriday

Part of the "Hartlepool Library Service" collection


Related items :