hartlepool history logo

Lynn Street east 01 - Chapel Buildings

What we know about this image :


This photograph is of part of the first block from Church Street to John Street.  The section shown is listed as Chapel Buildings.  The Trade Directories for 1898/9 and 1902/3 list the three shops as Stokell's the painters, Rutter's fruiterers, and Taylors' Drug Co.  By 1908/9, Johnson Bros (Dyers) had taken over one of the shops, giving a rough idea of the earliest date this photograph could have been taken.

By the time this photograph was taken the chapel had been converted to the Palace cinema, the first in West Hartlepool.


Donor : Douglas Ferriday

Part of the "HLS" collection


Related items :