hartlepool history logo

Doris - Newspaper Reports

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer – Saturday 27 September 1930:

VESSEL ABANDONED. Crew Rescued by Hartlepool Lifeboat.

 (From Our Correspondent.) WEST HARTLEPOOL, Friday.

During a strong northerly gale this afternoon the Danish three-masted motor schooner Doris of Thurso, got into serious difficulties in Tees Bay, and the crew had to abandon the vessel, and were rescued by the Hartlepool lifeboat.

The Doris, which was light, was on voyage from Wick to West Hartlepool, but when attempting to enter the port was blown too far to leeward, and got into difficulties in the vicinity of the Longscar Rocks. The coastguards at Seaton Carew realised the Doris was in a dangerous position, and though she had made no signals of distress, the coastguards summoned the Hartlepool motor lifeboat. Mr. Robert Hood, the coxswain of the lifeboat, said the task of rescue was very difficult. The sea was rough, and they had to make three attempts to reach the Doris. Eventually they got alongside, and the crew of nine jumped into the lifeboat and were brought safely into Hartlepool. They were received by Messrs. J. Graham and Son on behalf of the Shipwrecked Mariners' Society, and looked after at the Mission to Seamen.

CAPTAIN'S STORY. Captain S. Kobki, of the Doris, whom interviewed immediately after his rescue, said they left Wick on Monday, and had had rough weather all the way down the coast.

“When endeavouring to make Hartlepool this afternoon," he said, “I found the vessel was being driven too far to leeward, and was in immediate danger of striking the dangerous rocks off Seaton Carew. We threw out two anchors with especially strong chains and cables and were riding the storm like a cork when the lifeboat arrived. We were warned by the lifeboat crew that if the schooner struck the rocks she could not live ten minutes and it would be impossible to effect our rescue. We, therefore, abandoned the ship.”

Captain Kobki said that if the weather moderated he hoped they would be able to return to the Doris. When the crew abandoned the vessel they had to leave behind all their belongings. “Whilst in Wick,” said Captain Kobki, “I had a dream that the Dons had gone to pieces. It is most singular and I have no idea why I should have had that dream, but I did."

At four o'clock the Doris had dragged her anchors and drifted to within a quarter of a mile of the North Gare breakwater at Teesmouth. Later in the evening she was driven onto the rocks at the base of the breakwater, and if the storm continues nothing can save her from being battered to pieces.

Hundreds of people gathered on the breakwater as the vessel was drifting foot by foot up the beach to the wall, the waves washing completely over her. Had the crew not abandoned the vessel there can be no doubt they would have lost their lives, as rescue operations would have been impossible later in the day.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail – Friday 17 October 1930:

THE WRECK OF THE DORIS The Danish three-masted schooner Doris which was wrecked off recently, and at present lying with a broken back near the slag wall, Seaton Carew, has been purchased by the North-East Salvage and Shipbreaking Company. An examination of the engines will he carried out shortly, and arrangements made for the dismantling of the vessel.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail – Tuesday 30 December 1930:

Presentations by Lady Londonderry.

THE AWARDS. Capt. Oliver, on behalf of the Lifeboat Institution, then read details of the awards to be presented. The first of these was the vellum and bronze medal to Coxswain Robert Hood of the lifeboat and monetary awards to the members of the lifeboat crew, namely, Acting-Cox. Frank Southern, Acting-Bowman Ben Rowntree, Motor Mechanic H.W. Jefferson. Assist. Motor Mechanic Frank Southern (junr), A. Hood, and T. Gilchrist. . These awards were in connexion with the rescue of the crew of the three masted schooner Doris which was wrecked on September 26.

A HIGH DISTINCTION. A further presentation which the Marchioness was asked to make was that of the vellum to Mr. Alfied Belk, the local honorary secretary to the lifeboat, appointing him as Honorary Life-Governor of the Lifeboat Institution. This, said Mr. Oliver, was the highest distinction that the Institution could confer on any one of its honorary workers and was only given for long and devoted service. Mr. Belk had been hon, secretary since 1881, so that he had held the post for 49 years. His brother preceded him in the position, and during their periods of office the Hartlepool lifeboat had saved 268 lives.

Related items :