hartlepool history logo

Chapel on Front Street

What we know about this image :

The barometer which stands at the side of the road was donated by the Lifeboat Commision in August 1869. Opposite the old cannon is the Wesleyan Chapel built in 1830 and enlarged in 1878. In the early years the sea was so close it would spray up against the Chapel windows.

By 1949 the chapel building was being used as a fun palace.

Date (of image) : 1888

Donor : Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, County Durham

Creator : James Whitehead Pattison

Part of the "Pattison's Photographs" collection


Related items :